Monday 6 February 2012

Winter Essentials

Every time winter rolls around, I feel like it's a battle - me vs. Mama Nature - who will come out alive? Winters are different all over the world, but here in Canada we're used to the fierce. I'm very vocal about hating winter because it's cold, dark, depressing, and makes you feel all gross and shivery every morning. But to be honest, I kinda dig the whole seasons-changing thing. I'm actually very blessed to live in a country where I can experience the beauty of all four seasons (and fashion specific to each; boots, flipflops, skirts, and coats all in one year..I mean c'mon people!). 
So, I guess winter is overall awesome. Especially when the white, fluffy stuff is falling from the heavens while I'm sitting inside drinking hot chocolate and wearing fuzzy booties - awesome. Oh, and also the fact that it makes my neighborhood look like Hogsmeade. If only Three Broomsticks was around the corner...
It's a love-hate relationship between me and my friend Winter, but I've learned to suck it up and just enjoy it while it lasts. Although, the following things do make life a whole lot easier.

Bath and Body Works, $7.50  
Lips
I cannot begin to express how badly I've wanted a lip balm that actually does its job and protects my lips in the harsh weather. I always come close to finding "the one" and then there's a drawback. Either it leaves residue, or it's sticky, or it's dry, or it makes no difference whatsoever. I really wanted to find an affordable, amazing lip balm and this year I found it. Introducing CO Bigelow's Lip Balm No. 1421
Trust me on this! You will love this lip balm with your heart & soul (is that too dramatic?) I don't think I ever want to try another. It's available in a variety of flavours, but I personally prefer the lemon. It's so soothing and delicious (like you rubbed your lips in lemon meringue pie). Did I mention that it's 100% natural? And it's also available in a Lip Cream version.



Nails
Any drugstore, $3.00
Oh nails. I wish I had those picture-perfect shaped nails, but unfortunately my nail bed's small and round. So naturally, I was never a huge nail person. But I find that especially in the winter, my cuticles need some serious love. So, I've tried to look past their lack of manicured perfection and given my nails some TLC with Burt Bee's Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream (I feel like I have a serious lemon obsession...)
Use it before you sleep every night and you'll have well-moisturized and grateful fingers in a week :)

Any drugstore/major retailer, $7.00
Skin
Here comes the major one. Skin. It's all over you so it goes without saying that your skin is the one thing that's damaged easily by the weather. Sunscreen is the obvious answer in the summer, but you should also use it on those deceivingly bright winter days (especially if you have a lighter skin tone). I'm not a huge fan of sunscreen - actually, what am I saying, I hate it. Loathe sunscreen. It's gross and slimy and doesn't go away no matter how much you rub it into your skin. End rant. 
What I do love to use are moisturizers every day before I head out. One of my favourites is Aveeno's Stress Relief Moisturizing Lotion. Now, before you wonder if I'm stressed, I probably am, but that's not the reason I use it. I picked it out once upon a time because compared to the other Aveeno bottles, it was the prettiest (it's lavender themed and I have a weakness for purple). Plus, it was the best smelling one :)

So there you have it folks. I'm no beauty expert, but I am a Canadian and extremely OCD when it comes to skincare. These products are tried & true, natural, and have been my saviours, so hopefully the reviews will help you too :)

J'espère que vous avez un bon hiver!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment as "Name/URL" (you don't have to enter a URL if you don't want to). Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...