Tuesday 18 October 2011

Posters and Prettiness

Doesn't it have an antique flair?

     During the past week, there was a poster sale at my university. Poster sales are regular and welcomed occurrences each year. There are boards and boards of creative artistry displayed across the hall, generating the atmosphere of either a busy art gallery or a contemporary bazaar. Every single time I pass by the hall hosting the sale, I really can't help myself. The colors drag me off my feet towards them and I'm always spellbound. I tried to escape today by forcing myself to keep my eyes straight ahead. I had the exit locked in as my target and was totally in focus. And then I saw it.
     My eyes had only gone astray for about a second, but that was long enough for me to see the CUTEST landscape poster of a herd of African elephants. There was an adult elephant leading the way, with baby elephants following along behind her/him. It was so beautiful, so natural that it honestly took my breath away. And from that moment on, I was a goner.
     I spent about an hour roaming around the entire area, looking at every single poster, debating with myself about whether I should buy something or not. There were a lot of pieces I loved (those minimalist "keep calm and carry on" posters, some Van Gogh paintings, and scenic shots of Paris/New York), but I wanted to spend money on something that I would actually put up in my room. Something that would match my decor and pull my room together instead of making it look like a dorm. Eventually, I found two beautiful inspirational posters by Elizabeth Medley. Looking at the background collage of newspaper clippings and cursive handwriting, I was sold. (A picture of one of the ones I bought is at the top left) Medley has many other, nicer posters, but unfortunately the sale only carried two and you can find more online.
     I can't wait to place the posters in dark wood frames and put them up in my room :) In my opinion, inspirational quotes add a romantic touch to a room and they're a unique way to go in terms of decor. (I should probably add here that my friend found a set of 3 adorable, very colourful, posters with animal cartoons and quotes on them, and even though I fell in love at first sight, she reminded me that my room was not a nursery or a kindergarten classroom so I had to suck it up and move on :( *tear*)
     Shopping obviously makes everything worthwhile so my poster sale experience was a good one, but the posters are not all I got from it. Today, I also discovered a brilliant photographer by the name of Mandy Lynne. Her photographed posters were SO charming, I became a fan instantly!

   
     Lynne's style focuses on vintage, delicate, and country-ish images (love, love, and love) so her pictures might not fascinate everyone. The friend that I was at the poster sale with for instance thought they were "too girly"...so to each her own. But I absolutely love them and someday, somehow these photographs will have to find a way into my home. What do you think? Do they float your boat?
     If I had the chance to make one wish, every single moment would be like this - Rascal Flatts (Sunday Afternoon)
Photo credits go to Elizabeth Medley and Mandy Lynne

2 comments:

  1. awww im touched that i was mentioned in this blog!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to write all sorts of mean things about you, but I held back :P Just kidding, thanks Neelam!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment as "Name/URL" (you don't have to enter a URL if you don't want to). Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...