Saturday 29 October 2011

If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it - T. Morrison

     When people ask me why I love writing so much, I find it weird. Why do people walk? Because it gives them access to something in the distance. It makes something that's far away appear in their hands. Why do people talk? Because it allows them to communicate with other people and release the thoughts trapped within the confines of their body. And why do people breathe? Because it's an action that is essential to their survival. It let's us relax and gives us energy.
     It seems like exaggeration but in all honesty, writing gives me all of that as well. When there are fantastic worlds alive in my imagination, writing allows me to walk inside those worlds. It lets me pick up an object that was far away, examine it, and understand what I feel when holding it. I'm able to create something real out of absolutely nothing just by writing about where I've walked to.
     When you watch movies or read stories about places, characters, and a time period that takes your breath away, don't you wonder how on earth did someone come up with this? Different dimensions of beauty, terror, and life exist all around us, but they are not visible to the human eye. The grand hallways of Hogwarts and the roaming hills of Middle-earth would have never been seen if Rowling and Tolkien had not picked up their pens and written about them. Writing is the way in which someone can hold your hand and lead you into a hollow tree they have discovered, introduce you to the curious species of Nargles, or take you pear-picking in the kingdom of Genovia. 
     Whether it's in today's society or a century prior, writing has served the purpose of providing an escape. A beautiful release from the knots of reality. It's a tool; much like painting, playing music, or baking. We do it to let go of frustrations. We do it to take the emotions from within us and push them out of our bodies. If they're good emotions, we want them to make us glow and for world to see. If they're bad, we want to purify ourselves of them. Either way, these tools help us unwind, breathe, and inch towards our emotional homeostasis.
     We have all experienced wondrous magic at the hands of literature. For that we need to thank the writers who did not lose the objects of their imaginations to the realm of nothingness. We need to thank them for the time and effort they spent and all the rejection they faced. Without literature, how would we realize that we are all so similar in various different ways? It's hard for me to explain how much writing is a part of me or how it dragged me out of turmoil numerous times. I can't describe the elation I feel when my pen scrapes a word onto paper or when my fingers translate my thoughts onto a screen. It's one of those indescribable things that can only be felt to be understood. All I know is, if there is a story to be told, I need to tell it and if there is a thought that wants to be set free, this is the way to do it. 
     I love writing; it's a part of who I am. Without it, I would be a shell of a person, with a million thoughts rattling inside begging to escape. And really...who wants to be a human maraca?
Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass. - Anton Chekhov

2 comments:

  1. WOW! That was such a good piece! Your writing skills are incredible. You should seriously consider being an author I would read your books. I never thought of writing in such a beautiful way. Thanks for taking my hand and leading me there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! Honestly, that was one of the nicest comments I've ever received and I don't even know how to express how big the smile on my face is because of it. I'm seriously touched, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment as "Name/URL" (you don't have to enter a URL if you don't want to). Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...