Tuesday 25 October 2011

Must Watch: Hart of Dixie


     I have a TV addiction. I wasn't like this when I was younger, Magic School Bus and Arthur were the only shows I took the time to watch. But now, as my responsibilities have grown and homework has piled up, TV has become a sort of escape from it all. So naturally, the more work I have the more I procrastinate and indulge in show, after show, after show.
     My list is extensive and random. I watch everything from reality to drama to game shows. But recently I came across some amazing new shows that I've been following religiously ever since they premiered. Those include Once Upon A Time, Terra Nova, Up All Night, New Girl...and my favourite out of them all - Hart of Dixie. I'm so attached to this show now that I just couldn't resist writing a review and getting others to watch it with me. :)
     I knew I'd love Hart of Dixie from the start. First of all, the location is perfect! I love all things Southern and country and the small town of BlueBell fits that criteria perfectly (They even have a fake "blog" of the town on CW.com! How cool is that?) The pilot of the show was good...yet it lacked a spark. Nevertheless, I had a feeling this show had potential and so I kept watching and it paid off  :)
     The ambitious Dr. Zoe Hart (Rachel Bilson) is a young doctor from NYC who has inherited a practice in BlueBell. She aspires to be a cardiothoracic surgeon, but doesn't get a placement in NY because of her lack of patient communication skills. So Zoe's off to the South to live a life she never imagined she would. And of course, being a New Yorker, she sticks out like a pumpkin in a field of watermelons (haha, like my Southern-ish simile there?) She meets quirky and interesting characters there: Lavon Hayes (the mayor), Brick Breeland (the other doctor in town), Lemon Breeland (Brick's daughter), George Tucker (lawyer, ex-New Yorker, Lemon's fiance), and Wade Kinsella (the town's badboy), amongst others. 
     I love this show for its simplicity and charm. It's light-hearted, believable, and the small-town appeal will have you hooked. At times, it feels like you've warped back a few decades to a time where life was much simpler. The fact that Zoe is a cynical city-girl living in a town that values traditions and history, draws a clean comparison between the past and present. Along with Zoe, you start to realize that there is so much beauty in life that you fail to see when you're consumed by technology and pretentious habits. 
     All seriousness aside, Hart of Dixie is awesome 70% of the time thanks to the adorable outfits worn by Rachel Bilson and the fine ladies of BlueBell. The other 30%? Obviously the guys ;). I really hope Zoe ends up with Wade the badboy(!), but there's tension between George and her as well. Moreover, there's a developing story line of a possible past affair between Lemon and Lavon which the directors keep giving us a taste of. 
     The writers have done a great job of keeping the show true to its Southern roots and I love the witty/flirty commentary they've created between the characters. The characters themselves are very dynamic and I'm sure they'll grow even more intriguing as the season progresses. True...at times its very cliché, but everything about it is so endearing that Hart of Dixie is now one of my most favourite shows. I can't wait to watch it again next week :) 

The show airs Mondays 8pm on CTV-2.
All pictures are property of CW and Hart of Dixie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment as "Name/URL" (you don't have to enter a URL if you don't want to). Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...